Friday, July 16, 2010

Friday & Fabulous: babylady inc.



Let me start off by saying I am MORTIFIED that this feature hasn't arrived earlier. I have no excuse. No moving, no baking, no baby, no army should ever get in the way of featuring one of the most fabulous women I know. Now to sum up this baby lady who was not always with babies.... ;)

I met Kat Alcantara, now Kat West when I was a fresh faced F.I.T. student, barely 19...... I had some great connections and landed a job at the Columbus Avenue Betsey Johnson Boutique. I had known of Kat many years before when I was a kid sneaking into the village to buy rave tickets and records. She's maybe 5'ft tall, but she towered over that Patricia Field's (yes, the real pat field of sex in the city fashion styling fame) counter...cigarette in tow and septum ring of fury. She was this tiny little filipino girl that scared the crap out of me. When the day came that I had the honor of meeting her years later in that hot pink store, I learned she was anything but scary. She was warm and mothering and as we now know, that was her true calling. Kat and I spent a lot of time in that store crying over boys, giggling over boys, catering to ridiculous celebrities... ignoring washed up ones who apparently didn't get the memo and making a decent living doing what we loved at a very very young age. Our careers took us separate ways but we remained the closest of friends and always supporting each other in the hell that is Fashion. After conquering motherhood and missing her other true love... she has launched babylady inc., a beautifully crafted children's line that has been nurtured and creatively cared for the way only Kat could. I am so proud to be her friend and fellow "not just a mom" entrepreneur. We both launched our businesses at the same time with the same fears and here we are. Kick ass kitty, they haven't seen anything yet.




You can view the full BLI collection online here:


http://www.babyladyinc.com/fall_2010.html#1

*that gorgeous model Vivienne is MY goddaughter. mmmm hmmmmm......

No comments:

Post a Comment

VISIT US ON THE WEB:
BAKEBOUTIQUEINC.COM